GAS GRILL V/S ELECTRIC SMOKERS. WHO WINS?
July 27, 2015
Clearly the market is flooded with all kinds of grills and smokers and each one of them promise you the best barbecuing experience. But wait, the equipment in which you are going to invest now is going to impact the TASTE OF FOOD! So here is a comparison between the two most widely used equipments for barbecuing- the electric smoker and the gas grill to put an end to your confusion. Let’s see who wins.
- PORTABILITY: The electric smoker even though of smaller size needs to be plugged in so it’s not an ideal companion for camps and picnics. But the gas grill typically meant for outdoors because of its larger size, is more mobile and portable and can be used anywhere with a natural gas line.
- EASE OF USE: The electric smoker clearly scores here as it is all about comfort, push-button convenience and requires smaller space. What’s more some smokers even have apps that sync your phone to it and remind you after the cooking is done. The temperature can be easily monitored as cooking is done in controlled environment. While for the gas grill you will require a larger space and basic knowledge about moisture and outside temperature to monitor cooking temperature. So beginners and comfort-seekers, the electric smoker is clearly the one for you.
- MAINTENANCE: The parts of electric smokers are not detachable so it’s a task in itself to clean them, while on the other hand all heating elements of a gas grill can be easily cleaned by immersing them in water. Also, since natural gas is used there is no soot left behind, which further makes the gas grill easy to clean.
- FLAVOR: This aspect is the main consideration for most buyers so let’s decode this one. The electric smoker produces a plain smoke which gives the least flavour to the meat. But some variants of gas grill come with a facility to use charcoal (Purists rejoice!) which enables one to produce a rich smoke and flavour the meat to its best as compared to electric smokers. So only get yourself the electric smoker if you do not mind compromising the taste and are looking for comfort and some fast cooking.
- COOKING SPECIFICITIES: Both of these equipments can be used to cook almost all kinds of meat but they have their specialities. Gas grill is perfect for smaller cuts of meat and because it is able to sustain higher temperature for a long time searing is possible which is not possible in an electric smoker. Electric smoker works well for delicate proteins like the salmon. Electric smoker can sustain lower temperatures for a longer period so larger cuts of meat can be smoked without any hassels.
So, using both of these equipments have their pros and cons. But as it clear the gas grill clearly scores over the electric smoker especially in areas of flavour, maintenance and portability. But the pressures of modern lifestyle may force you to buy an electric smoker but the winner here is the gas grill.